Monday, December 31, 2012

What I've Learned this Year

2012 has been a phenomenal, life-changing year. I started off the year determined to make my last semester at a school I intended to transfer from a positive experience. I was ready to get out of there, but I left with a few new friends and a couple of good times. I spent the summer doing my dream job- teaching sailing at camp and wouldn't have spent it any other way. I survived my first semester at UGA with a not-too-shabby GPA. But the absolute highlight of my 2012 occurred just a few days ago when I found out the best news...

I will be returning to my camp this summer in a new role as a leadership counselor! This has been my dream since the first time I went to camp in the fifth grade. I'm excited to impact the campers in a new way and help my counselors through the summer. Also, there are a lot of traditions reserved for leadership that I'm really excited to do!

I've learned a lot this year, and some of it I learned the hard way. But I wouldn't change a moment for anything.

I've learned...

  • I've definitely grown up a considerable amount in the past year, but I have A LOT left to do. I'm not nearly ready to be a real, live "adult" yet.
  • I don't know how everything is going to turn out. I can't know that, but it's ok.
  • Maybe my childhood dream of becoming a writer isn't so silly after all.
  • The cost of eating out really does add up.
  • Sometimes you make a bad decision. Do what you can to recover from it, and move on. Try again if you can.
  • There's no point of making a to-do list if you're not going to follow through with it.
  • I'm still not sure how one handles being sick as an "adult." I still text my mom with in-depth descriptions of my symptoms and ask what to do. 
  • How to study. Seriously. I was NOT academically challenged in high school and my first year of college. This year has been the first time that I've ever had to seriously hit the books.
  • Trust God. He has a plan, and sometimes that plan involves your dreams coming true. No matter what, it is what's best.
What have you learned this year?

Love and hugs, and Happy New Year!
Blake

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the leadership postion. That's going to be a blast.
    And as far as what you've learned, I love 3,4 and 9!!
    This year, I've learned more about being an adult..finally! happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete