Thursday, January 3, 2013

My 2013 Goals

I have never made a real New Year's Resolution. I've always known myself well enough to know that I probably wouldn't follow through with them. I entered the year with a vague idea of how I wanted to progress, but rarely with any real direction. This year I realized that there are some areas in my life I want to change for my own sake, so I've compiled a list of goals for this year. Most of these goals involve making a better schedule for myself so I get in the habit of being productive instead of aimlessly browsing the internet of watching too much Netflix!

1. Exercise | Currently my only physical activity involves walking to class. For my own health, I really need to start actually working out. I don't have class until 2:00 on Tuesday and Thursday and my apartment complex has a gym, so there's really no reason why I can't work out at least two days a week before class.

2. Read my Bible every morning | This is something I've seriously slacked on. I really value my faith, but I need to put more effort into furthering my relationship with God. I plan to wake up fifteen minutes earlier every morning to dive into the Word and get my day started right.

3. Get organized | Really this goal is more, "Get my room organized." Has anyone ever seen the Friends episode where super-organized Monica has her messy closet and that's the one area of her life that's unorganized? That's me with my room. It's awful. My first task is to tackle my desk so I can stop studying at the kitchen table.

4. Join a club | In high school, I was an insane overachiever and I overcommitted myself. Hence, I kind of burned myself out. I'm only a member of one club currently and all I really do it go to meetings. My goal is to find one organization that interests me and that I can get really involved in. This goal is partially a response to missing a busy schedule and partially to realizing how empty my resume is.

5. Read for pleasure a little every night | I used to be such an avid reader, but when I went to college I stopped making time to read. Now I've decided that every night I'm going to set aside a little bit of time to read for pleasure. Having a Kindle that I got for Christmas makes this a little easier. All my books are at my fingertips!

6. Go to bed before midnight | I am the worst about sitting on my laptop in bed and saying, "One more blog post/TV show/Facebook stalking, and then I'll go to bed." Before I know it, it's two in the morning. This year I plan to unplug by 11:30 and settle down with a book before I go to sleep!

What are your goals for this new year?

Love and hugs,
Blake
"Rise up and attack the day with enthusiasm."

3 comments:

  1. I always say I have a Monica's closet too! For me it's our little attic space! I never let anyone see it!
    I totally feel the same way about joining a club, I need to get on that too!
    Oooh and the go to bed before midnight too, I am awful about computer time at night- my new rule has been no laptop in bed! Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your resolutions/goals. My resolution this year is to get organized (my apartment and my life).

    Happy New Years!
    Charlee Anne @ thepreppygraduate.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goals are pretty much the same as yours - try to read more and get to the gym more often. Good luck with your resolutions!

    SHF
    thechroniclesofs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete